This is what happened one day when we felt like making our own vegetarian sushi but were too lazy to go through the whole Japanese rice and rolls procedure. Inspired by nori rolls I’ve had at various raw food restaurants, I set out to create a flavorful veggie sushi bowl. It may not be raw, but I was craving something warm, so instead I boiled some brown rice, chopped our favorite vegetables, cut the seaweed into pieces and turned sushi into a meal. And what a meal it was! It has that sushi feeling with a more nourishing twist. We quickly realized that this dish actually had made it to our top-list of favorite dinner recipes.
Veggie Sushi Bowl
Vegan & Gluten-free
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1.5 cups of water
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- 4-5 florets of broccoli, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, cut into slices or cubes
- 1 handful bean sprouts
- 1/4 cucumber, chopped
- 2 sheets nori seaweed, cut into 2×2-inch squares
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
Serve with: wasabi & soy sauce
- Boil the rice according to the instructions on the package or combine rice and water in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, cover, and simmer gently until the water is absorbed, about 35 minutes. When it’s done, stir in vinegar.
- In two separate bowls, toss in prepped veggies, bean sprouts, nori and rice. Top off with sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Leave a Comment
- Whole Wheat Berry Muffins
- Roasted Kale Salad