Even though it’s perfectly legit to enjoy a melon with nothing but a fork, it only takes a few extra steps for something even a little more special. You can serve this as an afternoon snack, or alongside a more elaborate meal.
You may be surprised at the sight of basil, show curious interest in the addition of olive oil but it will surely prompt an addiction to each salty, sweet, cool and crunchy bite. It’s as simple as a few ingredients and magically transcends the sum of its parts, as they say. With Autumn well upon us, this may be our last chance to enjoy a few last bites of summer.
Vegan, Raw & Gluten-free
- seedless watermelon, cubed
- cantaloupe, seeds removed and cubed
- cucumbers, cut into large chunks
- Several branches of fresh basil
- 1 Jalapeno–thinly sliced or diced small
- 2 limes, juiced
- olive oil
- pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Prep the ingredients, being careful to put each in its own container. Remove basil leaves from the stem, tear.
- For the chili vinaigrette, remove seeds from the pepper and rinse before slicing, dice the pepper and add to the lime juice. Let macerate for several minutes. Add a healthy splash of olive oil to the citrus and pepper mix. Add salt and pepper for taste.
- When ready to serve, build each salad individually with an equal portion of colorful melon and cucumber. Toss with two tablespoons of chili vinaigrette and a big pinch of fresh basil. Top each portion with a nice drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt.